Identity theft can happen to you at anytime, but the following fraud prevention and identity theft tips can help you decrease the likelihood of becoming a victim of identity theft.
- Before revealing personal information, find out how it will be used and if it will be shared with others.
- Pay attention to your billing cycles. A missing credit card bill can mean a thief has taken over your credit card account and changed your address.
- Check your financial institution statement each month. If you find transactions you did not authorize, contact us immediately.
- Only carry the credit cards you need.
- Do not give out personal information unless you have initiated contact and know to whom you are speaking.
- Keep items with personal information in a safe place. Tear or shred charge receipts, copies of credit applications, insurance forms, checks and statements before putting them in the trash.
- Leave your Social Security card in a secure place, and only bring it with you when needed.
- Be wary of promotional scams. Identity thieves can use phony offers to receive personal information.
If you're a victim of identity theft:
- Place a fraud alert on your credit report by calling Equifax at (888) 766-0008, Experian (888) 397-3742, or TransUnion (800) 680-7289.
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
- File a report with the police in the community where the identity theft took place and file a complaint with the FTC by visiting their website or calling (877) 438-4338.
Linked sites are not under the control of City & County Credit Union (CCCU). CCCU is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site, or any changes or updates to such sites. Security and privacy policies may differ from those practiced by CCCU. The credit union does not represent either the third party or the user if a transaction is entered into with a linked site.
Please feel free to contact us in the way that is most convenient for you:
Speak with us in person:
Visit one of our local branches
Send us an email:
Contact us by phone:
1 (800) 223-2801 or (651) 225-2700
Contact Center Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am – 12:00pm